Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

How to write a long speech



If you are proficient at writing 5 min speech. Try writing a  18-20 min speech, it will blow your mind, how much speech writing is about how it sounds and what you begin to tell when you speak.

You start with introduction, 3 main points and conclusion.

Once you have these you start binning your ideas and flesh them out. Read them out loud to see if you have enough material for the time. If you need to grow th elength of the section, then fill in more details.

Once you start speaking, You will find that you have forgotten the main takeaways. The first speech writing helps you with the list that you want to mention.

And now as you speak, you realise its not impactful.

Having gotten the material to what is most likely to be spoken, start thinking about impact points.

keynotes

I chose the key phrase as How to wake up fit for the 22 minute long speech. I provided folded sheets with this phrase on top and the tips I wanted to share with the audience. I also had a blank weekly planner available, where the audience could fill out their weekly fitness plan and commit to it.

I added the slides the last morning. During the speech, in the way I narrated the story, I had to skip a slide. It was funny seeing that I had brought a para from 3rd segment to first while moving around the material after speech practice but looks like it was better in the last section, which also made me use that as a way to turn it back to the audience, showing how I fashioned my fitness week and then asking them to write theirs down.

I should remember to start at the end, to make the end impactful.

I realised that to make a good speech, you should be working on anothr speech along. I was preparing for this long speech for more than a month now. In the meanwhile, I had to talk on the plan for the club elections. With fitness things going on in the mind, when I changed gears to the other speech, I made a connection between elections and arranged marriages. The audience found it humorous. When they laughed at the title, I knew I struck it.


No comments: