Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Blossoms hanging over the waterfall

After seeing this awning of flowers, I wanted to share it with my family. It is this connection that Yasunara Kawabata talks about in his Nobel Lecture, where we want to share the beauty we see, with our chosen wayfarers.

"I’ll tell my drinking friends of these blossoms hanging over the waterfall sake nomi ni / kataran kakaru /taki no hana 酒のみに語らんか ゝる瀧の花" - Basho's journey

Here Basho wants to share a beautiful scene with his friends. I try to imagine how these witty poets would be in person. This wanting to share gives me a sense of the poetic Basho. Living every moment like a poet. It transforms the person.

Looking at this haiku, I want to see how that blossoms hanging over the waterfall looks like.

Blossoms hanging over the waterfall

The transience of the waterfall

the slope of the hanging blossoms

the leaves too like green blossoms


If the blossom is close to you

the waterfall gentle

water flows from the blossom


If you are above the waterfall

the milk flowing like the blossoms


When you watch for this long

a bird will land on the blossom

Big Sit




No comments: