Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Thursday, September 5, 2024

White egrets Workshop

 Derk Walcott's White Egrets. I kept wondering why diabetes kept coming into the poems. It makes sense from this reading. I kept going back and forth from the audio to the book. Before I could hear the verses that seemed like a surprise, I paused to read, understand and enjoy them first before I heard them, so that I already had some familiarity with them.

With the landscape turning into a seascape, I get a sense of unity in the nature.

This morning, I saw a poem with silent immediately followed by I listen. I noticed that both the words silent and listen contain each other.

“I think that we're beginning to remember that the first poets didn’t come out of a classroom, that poetry began when somebody walked off of a savanna or out of a cave and looked up at the sky with wonder and said, ‘Ahhh.’ That was the first poem.” - Lucille Clifton

Ah, Matsushima! Ah-ah Matsushima! Ah! Matsushima! Ah! haiku by Basho

Words from the heart are good. Words from other words are not. This article refers to the lightness of a poem which endears me to Japanese as to how simple little words can mean so much.

"We no longer even speak to the moon or the sky, the woods, or the hills we’re so used to murmuring to no one ... O Derwent! cried Wordsworth to a childhood river, and his mighty poem was underway in its flow." - Billy Collins

No comments: