Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Friday, January 10, 2020

How your vision clarifies your values

While listening to Arnold Schwarzenegger talk about his vision and how his vision was different from his parents, you are amazed that he knew what he didnt want and what he wanted clearly.

When I came across, Having a vision means you no longer care what other people think of you. I wanted to put it more as, you will not let others influence what you do. It means regardless of whats going on around the world, you try your own thing. John C Maxwell says "Leadership is influence". It means you be your own leader. It means racing, even when there's no cheering. It means knowing your limits and pushing them. You want to pick up walking? How far can you walk? You are waiting for a bus and there's still time? Walk in that little time to the next bus stop and then the next bus stop. Few hours later, you have arrived at your destination. if any day, your bus breaks down, you know how far you can walk.

Does everyone come up with a vision?

Some start with values.

One day I realised that the weekend is 2/5th of our week. That means if we consistently put efforts towards something, we will soon catch up to something worthwhile. Thats when I picked up crazy reading. My value there was to utilize time to get better. At first I did try sleeping a lot but I cringe at it, when I think of it, that I didnt find a better way sooner. Then I moved onto all activities that made me feel happy. Walking, Hiking, Birdwatching.

Sometimes you try on the garb and see how it feels and continue in it, if it works.

Or may be the vision was hazy but it started you on a path. When I was in my sixth grade, unbeknoenst to me I was trying on the stoicism. My sister and I went to a neighbors house where they had a party. They had egg curry and when they asked us to eat. I said no, we dont want to. Maybe I had already eaten or it was a wrong time. Around that time, we also had a lesson where a little kid gets to go to his sister's friend's birthday party only if he says no atleast three times to the requests of having food - birthday cake. The clever kid says "No , No, No" very quickly. I think I wanted to be able to say no atleast once. I didnt even ask if my younger sibling wanted to have it. Still had things to learn. But a start.

It keeps you going. It has now become a habit. Once you know whats possible, you wouldnt veer off it. Its getting close. You want to make this happen.



No comments: