Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Musings

 To know a place intimately look at the shadows. See the stone bench. If you sat there or stood there, how would you add to the shadows. It makes your arm chair travel complete.

After the color workshop on writing, I now notice lighting in the movies. We see light effect too as color. The shadows too are their own heay obfuscating color. More of a mood that backgrounds things.

During the ephemera workshop, I got a flight ticket as an object. It was actually an extra baggage receipt. I thought about what could that baggage be. Why did this person have to being it with them. It reminded me of the books I got from NY Strand secondhand bookstore.

Later on we had to write an epistolatory based on this object. It reminded me of the scene, in "The Pole" by J.M.Coetzee where the lady has to collect the poems about her after the pianist passes away.

Is fiction a way to say the truth?

The great rebalancing and the costs of future health in developing economies reminded me of a Japanese movie in which a small town has residents facing health issues from a nearby factory, but the people working in it, hide the waste dumping and proof knowingly, so they dont lose the factory and sustenance. There is a lawyer who is investigating all this. This shows how to develop a character as a frame, connecting thread of the interesting scenario or a story.

Chekov's gun. Recently we watched a movie as a family and saw a rat in an upscale house which was a bit strange. Then I knew, it had something to do with the story. I predicted that the rat would eat the pill and explode, which is what happened next in the movie. My kid was surprised that I foretold this. The elements of story telling.

A cruise on land with radomes and all. Catalina island has a boat house too, on land.

A young wrter shared how this book Aina Hanau / Birth Land shows that even mighty mountains are not spared of climate pollution. How to enjoy walking in the mountains. Sometimes after a hike, I feel like I didnt stop to see anything. 

Karen Green

The Address Book


No comments: