Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Saturday, February 3, 2018

A Place Called Home: Twenty Writing Women Remember


From the essays that stick with me, I realise that each writer had a different way of approaching 'home'. If some have recalled their childhood in connection with it, some have written about their experiences in having a home of their own.

The best I liked was Meg pie's 'The Lake' where she evokes a picture of her childhood personality that leaves the reader in bouts of laughter.

Jill McCorkle's 'Secret Places' has built a wonder land in just few pages, recalling her childhood.

Erica Jong's 'Coming Home to Connecticut' brings out her love for nature.

Carole Maso's 'the Shelter of the Alphabet: Home' had me in splits that her list of homes was never ending.

Rosellen Brown's 'Displaced Person' is a two fold essay. Her essay about home dealt with her identity and the way her grandfather's memories clinged to her, she has extended the concept of home from a mere house, to the people associated with it - the family.

I found 'On the Continental Shelf' difficult to understand. May be next time I pick this book again, I would have developed enough as a reader to get it. Such are the essays that you can read them anytime you pick the book after a while.

No comments: