Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Monday, December 30, 2013

If Mice can smell light



I have never heard of Romare Bearden. This book My Hands Sing the Blues by Jeanne Walker Harvey and illustrated by Elizabeth Junon is a good introduction to the painter as well as his collage style.
When I saw Jazz in the description, I was expecting a singer's bio, but this book has inspiration written all over it. Painter Romare was inspired by Jazz. Author Romare too was inspired by Museum tours of the painter's works.
The scale of the spread of the painting where Romare sees through the window of the train as a child is impressive. While J K Rowling's fields has cows in them on the train ride, it was cotton fields and pecking hens that met the painter's gaze.
Some of my childhood summers too are spent playing on unused tracks. This book took me to my childhood too.




No comments: