Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Companies and culture



Things I learnt

1. Non-compete clause - Meredith Whitney worked for Fox to be out of bank business for a year.
2. Customer service agents get incentives for short calls.
3. Zappos rotates who mans front desks to keep egos in check.

The profiles of the business leaders in the book are an easy way to know what was it that clicked for them instead of having to plow through their biographies. Wait they are under 40, so not all of them think they have even lived enough to think of biography. Eric Ryan has his The method method book.
When I read the Method section I was very curious to know of their products. Even the bowling pin structure didnt click in my mind that I have already seen their products. Same with under armour. Their logo is hidden in the annals of the consumer minds. I feel a small picture of the company logos would have added to the reader's bonding of the profiles right from the beginning.
This book set straight some of the perks of a company that get exaggerated by word of mouth. I also gave a friend a recommendation of a to do in Vegas - visit Zappos.
Some of the people profiled are media darlings while the others are not too heard of.

No comments: