Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 3 - Joseph Brodsky

Poem: Autumn in Norenskaia

I thought I hadnt read Joseph Brodsky until I got the 'Collected poems in English' by mail. A search led me to The Poets Laureate Anthology where I have read the same poems. But I cant recall having read them. Poets take heed to Carl Sandberg's words on advertising (why? Cause he is bday boy today and his wishes have to be fulfilled) and 'irritate them' readers so they can remember the poem.

The lines are from winds point of view in a rustic setting

Rhythm of exile and Anti Regressive Dissimilation rhythm?
When in exile at Norenskaia, Brodsky learnt English by translating works into Russian.

On Anno Domini  poem - Also on his travel. Place plays a major role in his poems. as an exile, his very slippery affiliation with it, makes him collect it in memory.

Some libraries have his papers boxed. Is that enough to know him. Or as he says, is the way through his vowels and words. Or with a  Who's who entry. Or in the poem Walcott reads to Brodsky's God mother by a reader-poet.


No comments: