Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Poetry radiation

in Louis Untermeyer's words.

In The Poets Laureate Anthology, we are on a long journey of poems.





Title: The Poets Laureate Anthology


Each day morning when I read a set of poems by a poet and thought about their style or theme inclination, I knew I was on to a great start of the day. After having read enough pages I could compare poems by different poets on a similar experience. For example compare 'The Groundhog' of Richard Eberhart, 'Traveling through the Dark' by william Stafford and 'The Wellfleet whale'by Stanley Kunitz. I wasnt very familiar with the work of any of these poets. This book was a good introduction to many of the unknown poets.
To find a non popular poem of a well known poet is to know a poet in a new way. Exa, Design by Robert Frost.
The introduction to the authors and their views on poetry and role of poetry are illuminating in the way of how they came to be poets. Some of the influences of their lives are telling in their work.
Many poems got me searching for myths, mostly Greek.
And sometimes when I flip the pages back, I felt that I hadnt read some poems, that way it becomes an endless book.

After reading this book, 'Kill the day' by DonalD Hall is my favourite poem and Richard EberHart is my favourite poet for his eye for nature.

"For sale signs loomed like paper tombstones on the weedy lawns" - Mona Van Duyn.

PS: Poets love to write about Robert Frost. Title paraphrases Walt Whitman's 'The Child who went forth' in recognition of each poet's commitment to spread poetry.

No comments: