Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guidelines A Cross Cultural Reading/Writing Text.



Guidelines, A Cross Cultural Reading/Writing Text.
Stumbling blocks in Intercultural communication
In some cultures, also, it is polite to refuse the first or second offer of refreshment. - LaRay M Barna
We had a story in our nondetail in which an elder sister takes her brother along for a birthday party only if he promises to behave. He is supposed to refuse offer for any food atleast three times before accepting. The mischievous kid says no three times to the first offer, so he can enjoy the food.
In high school, my sister and I were at a dinner reception. They had egg curry being served. We were asked to eat. Being the elder sister I answered that we were not hungry. I felt highbrow refusing. My sister would have liked to eat. Now I remember to leave the onus of accepting/refusing a food offer to whoever is with me. Sometimes, even after I have made my mind that I will not find myself having anything to do with cake at birthday party after having had the first serving, I will say 'no' to taking cake for the road. I will say 'maybe my husband will like that'. After all these internal dramas, as soon as we get home, we finished up the cake in few seconds. A vanilla banana, strawberry cake. Its USP was its softness of the cake layers as well as the filling. The cake was mistakenly made girly with pink lettering and pink flowers. Not a hit with parents, but with all the little girls who attended the party, who also happened to be the majority. All the girls were asking was if they could have a flower. Must be the first time that a cake was trumped at the birthday party by kids. Well, a little boy too asked for a flower for his sister. I have seen at yet another birthday party where a kid asked for a balloon for his younger sister.Kids can be distracted with the auxiliaries on the cake but adults have their focus on it. I managed to have a serving of the cake and didnt go for more, although I was reminded of the baby shower cake which I had enjoyed then except for the minor unequally thawed filling the cake. I had seconds with that one. This cake was better and cost half less. The baker of the cake that cost half more is no longer in business.

No comments: