Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A frozen time in crystal cube




When the author writes, her mom was accepted only by ASU. I felt like I was reading my story. Having been in Tempe and close to Apache Blvd, I was instantly hooked to the book. Even though I am a bee for food, this book had stronger currents of family relations. There are many dishes and recipes but none stick in your mind. More than food, its about the tug of war with desire - for food - food you cant have, food that makes you fat or thin. The desire extends to love, happiness.
I havent read the author's fiction, but the non-fiction does show her as a child feeling her independent self in her 40s. The author recreates all the places she's lived in and the places that left an effect on her. You can imagine the 3 week vacation on an island with the breezeway. It must have something to do with her fiction skills.
In a very Anna Quindlen `Lots of Candles, plenty of cake', Christensen's memoir is written from that place of warmth physically and emotionally, where one is content with life thus far.

No comments: