Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The story must be told




It is incredible when a person gives up everything for helping others. There are inequalities in many spheres of life. But Dr Ruit says that saints and crooks are same to him. He treats everyone in need.
When I saw 'Three Cups of Tea' on the cover of 'Second suns', there was a small doubt in my head. But I spoke to Nepali neighbours and they knew about the Miracle Doctor Ruit who is touched upon as God by those he offered sight with his 7 minute cataract surgery. The way Ruit and Sanduk, first and last names are used independently in consecutive sentences, it was confusing at times. His partner Dr Tabin is a dare devil.
The author has started with the backgrounds of both doctors and the overlap of the Venn diagram which ends in the eye center. When one doctor talks about the other, it seemed like the interviews with chopped contestants as the contest goes on.
Because of the thick volume of the book, I have to wonder how much more meaningful it would be to read the whole story from the perspective of the doctors.
I am a foodie. So I was happy to come across lotus root pakora and butter tea (My neighbour says this is mostly had in the Himalayas).
There are bits and pieces of history in the background with 2001 Nepali royal family tragedy (I recalled it from the news cast in India), Sikkim history.

No comments: