Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Saturday, August 25, 2012

How to rev your writing?

Let the words find you

Annie Lopez's work was exhibited as part of  Family Matters exhibition at Tempe Center of Arts Gallery. She conducted a writing workshop too.


Art Workshop: What's Your Story?
Gallery
Noon-4 p.m., Aug. 25
Exhibiting artist Annie Lopez will lead a workshop about art making and writing. Visitors of all ages can bring their own copies of family photographs or use miscellaneous photocopies provided by the artist. First, participants will write short stories, poems or statements about the images and then color and decorate the work to tell a family story. Free


I was apprehensive about the story part. Still I went. Few years ago I had gone for a painter's workshop where the artist made the portrait of a live model's face. 
When I walked in, a granddaughter - granddaughter pair was working on their story. The artist had a couple of pre-made tiny journals tied with colourful strings. She had some family photographs scanned onto white sheets with sample stories on them. That was on her table.
On the participants table were many paper cuttings of texts and pictures.
I took a couple of family pictures with me. One was with my family marking the time when the whole family started to live under one roof. Another was at my cousin's ceremony similar to Quinceanera. I was set to write about how my cousin's father picked us from the hostel to join the ceremony. From the paper clippings a blue butterfly caught my eye. And there I had the concept of morphing into an adult. I kept turning the tiny pieces of paper to find the text underneath. That aimless text guided my story to what I had not planned to reveal. I see the power of words lying on the table like this for braiding the story. Fixed words of Magnetic poetry might not yield good poetry if you stick to using just those words but with a budding story in mind it can add fuel to the fire.
Keep cutting those words out of the paper into your story.

No comments: