Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Folktales

I have started reading Irish folktales. The abundance of angels must not be a folktale as I read an article by Celia Beresford - 'Angels of Ireland' in Vol no.194, Sep 2011 Java magazine.

I have my hands on Encyclopedia of Urban legends. Once my roomate told me of snake pet sizing pet owner story. When I passed it onto another friend, she told me that its an urban legend. I try to recall any that I know. As a kid, I studied in a hostel. We were always scared of ghosts in the night. As it goes with the preoccupation with ghosts, there was an antidote to this too. It seems there was a village which was haunted. One clever person wrote 'repu raa' which in Telugu means 'visit tomorrow'. Then the whole village resorted to this.

What about a mom putting her dark daughter in a washing machine so that she would turn up fair?

Aids being injected in public places by pin prick attacks

In the fiction world, a poem where a man points to himself when he is told of a kid without a face.

10.26.11

Do you remember reading of a student who wrote 'this is courage' as an answer to an essay to Harvard as personal statement? Well, what do we know. Its an urban legend.

10.28.11
Now theres a500 word limit on the college essay but nothing on the lower side.

We heard of The Graveyard wager as kids.

11.2.11
We have read this The Homemade Lie Detector legend as a story.
Today I got an email from a fellow hiker that she relocated to 'Down Under'. With a reference to Australia in the 'Urban Legends' book as Down Under, the subject line makes sense.
A while ago, my colleague talked about this The Lawnmower accident. What a law legend?
cultural logic must be what makes us believe that dentists are prone to suicide.

No comments: