Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hop scotch of prose and poetry

Maxine Hong Kingston, an accomplished author has recently published I love a broad margin to my Life, a free-verse memoir.

If you are wondering what is free verse…

Meghan O’ Rourke, a poet, wrote of a grief experience in ‘The Long Goodbye’ prose and then in ‘Once’ poetry form. Rourke was scared of poetry’s openness.

Why an artist wedded to a form loses grip on her medium during a turning point in life?

Growing up I was interested in essay form where Robert’s Frost ‘miles to go before I sleep’ stanza still crept in. After a poetry class, it seemed like I had said goodbyes to the only form of staking words that I knew.

Poetry undulates between the high of giving wings to your experience but of removing your stable ground too at the same time.

No comments: