Pages

Net Galley Challenge

Challenge Participant

Monday, August 2, 2010

The art of seeing

Helen Keller asks, "How was it possible, I asked myself, to walk for an hour through the woods and see nothing worthy of note?" in her essay Three days to see
I wonder how I missed the tower on the end of a corner building. I have even wished to dine on the rooftop of that building. I could bet 100$ that this conical roof wasnt on the building.
Having walked for years, I have still missed glaring details of buildings.
This time I did notice that US Airways center building has brick wall frame around glass on the west side while a building to its south has it reverse on the south face. I mention this to remember the play of material with bricks and glass. I saw a brick building recently and thought it could not be done well in any other thing. That being said, there are some people who get bored of those things and ask architects anything but that. And thats how Frank Gehry gave metal buildings.
When I sketch, I do see more details.
A View from the Bridge

No comments: